Strictly no agencies
This is a full-time University placement for 1 year.
Applications close March 13th 2020
We are offering a year-long industrial placement, at our head office in Middlesbrough, to University students currently studying a Computer Games Design or related degree.
Our games design placements involve working on live projects: you will be helping with design tasks across our numerous projects which are in development for PS4, XB1, Switch, PC and more.
You’ll be working as part of our experienced design team, and will work directly with them to gain valuable experience of the game development cycle. Your work will cover a large spectrum of the various design disciplines; from level design, design documentation, creative writing, and gameplay design to aspects such as difficulty balancing and accessibility options.
We like to see students who’ve gone beyond the requirements of their course: we’re happy to look at examples of your own projects and design documentation, so feel free to include them with your application.
We are fundamentally different in the way we work and what you may be used to, our company was created on the premise that people could have normal lives and do what they love doing. On the rare occasions we work overtime it’s almost always paid and from time to time we also offer voluntary out of hours paid projects. Think of us as a crew instead of a studio, heading in the same direction and dependent on one another to succeed.
This role requires a good level of skill and enthusiasm. Our expectations are high given our reputation in the industry. In addition to being skilled, we place great emphasis on integrity, working hard and team solidarity.
KEY SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Currently studying a Computer Games Design or related degree.
- Excellent communicator in both content and tone through a variety of methods; online, face to face, presentation and written.
- Excellent time management, multi-tasking skills, self-motivated, and able to thrive in an agile environment.
- Ability to create high-quality documentation, to communicate your creative vision clearly.
- Ability to show design creativity that is mindful of the project’s scope, resources and deadlines, with an understanding of how new features will impact and gel with existing components and systems in the game.
- Should be creative, motivated, enthusiastic, versatile and adaptable.
- A comprehensive working knowledge of applications related to documentation such as Microsoft Office and Google Docs.
SKILLS OR INTERESTS CONSIDERED A BONUS:
- Experience with game engines such as Unreal 4 and Unity.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Strong creative writing skills.
- A genuine passion for games and game development, with a strong sense of current trends and gamer attitudes.
- A positive attitude and sense of self, with a willingness to work as part of a team.
- A receptiveness to constructive criticism.
Any additional qualifications that may be considered a bonus
WORKING AT DOUBLE ELEVEN:
We’re pretty sure we’re the best place to work, period. Some of our developer benefits include:
- Flexible working hours.
- Flexible lunch hours.
- Personal development plan and potential annual performance bonuses.
- Vitality Private Healthcare (for you and your family).
- Christmas bonuses.
- Awesome office facilities; cinema, video game suite and state of the art kitchen (Middlesbrough studio).
- Regular team lunches and title launch parties.
- Additional leave for moving house and birthdays.
- Cycle scheme.
ABOUT US/ WHAT WE DO:
Double Eleven Limited is a full-service publisher and developer, with head office located in Middlesbrough and other studios in Kuala Lumpur and Birmingham. Current studio projects include Minecraft Dungeons (2020), Rust Console (2020) and Prison Architect (PC & Console). As an independent publisher, Double Eleven have focused on bringing great games to new platforms and audiences including titles from the PixelJunk series, Prison Architect, and Goat Simulator. Double Eleven has also developed a strong reputation for technical skill, working on external titles such as the Lego Harry Potter series (PS4/XB1/Switch) and Crackdown 3 (Windows 10).
In 2017 and 2018, we were voted one of the best places to work in the UK Games Industry by gamesindustry.biz.
Double Eleven is a name to describe the people that create all the value. From development to business development to marketing and distribution, there’s a huge amount of talent and experience here from all levels of the games industry. Through hard work, integrity and solidarity, we are able to use that experience to create and bring to market great games that people enjoy.
To apply please email [email protected] with a copy of your CV and covering letter which highlights why you would be ideal for this role. We will endeavour to get back within a week of the closing date.