STRICTLY NO AGENCIES
This is a full time position based at our Middlesbrough HQ.
Applications close 14th June 2020
We are a fully independent, development and publishing team running 10 years strong whose games are the result of collaborations with some of the most well respected publishers and developers in the world. We are now developing a new, original IP for next generation platforms and we’re looking for a Senior Games Designer to join our tribe.
WOULD YOU ENJOY:
- Playing a key role in the development of original IP for next gen consoles
- Playing a part in the creation of memorable player experiences
- Joining a company in a senior, decision-making and creative capacity
- Being part of a passionate team that has a great reputation in the industry
If so, you may be interested in becoming a Senior Designer at Double Eleven.
We are looking for individuals with experience overseeing a full game or large areas therein, that can bring their experience working with and mentoring junior designers on the team.
We are also looking for individuals who can match their creativity with a methodical approach to game design challenges. That part of the role requires an experienced individual who is excited by creating coherent game designs and facilitating the implementation of such features or mechanics through their production path. This includes presenting a high standard of design materials (from documents to diagrams) that consider the game as a whole, to iterating, testing, tweaking and balancing.
In a senior role you will collaborate closely with other designers, artists, UI and gameplay code teams to develop and refine your design vision. You will also work with and assist production, to help task and track the project’s development.
- Own individual areas of the game, features or mechanics, from their concept through to completion.
- Use your experience to support, empower and monitor the work of other designers in the team.
- Work closely with all department leads (Art, Code, Production, QA) as the game takes shape, convey your ideas concisely and champion a high level of quality and player experience throughout.
- Create clear annotated mockups and or diagrams for UI(s) and HUDs, for artists and coders to follow and implement efficiently.
- Visualise and consider the entire game and its components when designing or improving content. A great designer can not only come up with innovative new mechanics, but also fully understand the implications on the rest of the game and its ecosystems; Controls, UI, player messaging and feedback, consistency, pacing, difficulty curve, etc.
- Take a proactive approach to foresee problems and provide design solutions that are mindful of a project’s scope and timescales.
- Use production platforms such as Hansoft or Forecast to extrapolate the vision set out in your designs (documents / diagrams / mock-ups) into tasks and schedules for other designers, artists and programmers.
- Communicate the design vision up and down the organisation, across a range of stakeholders.
KEY SKILLS REQUIRED:
- 3 or more years working as a Senior Designer on at least 2 shipped products (on console and/or PC).
- Project leadership skills – Experience leading a game design and/or the key features therein, ensuring your own (and/or your team’s) designs are clear, concise, produced in a timely manner, properly implemented and balanced.
- Experience working independently and/or leading other designers, and working closely with other departments to communicate and deliver your (and your team’s) designs to a high standard.
- Experience in participating in various forms of game design, including; UI/UX, game modes, key features and mechanics, balancing and progression, accessibility, reward systems, etc. We also hope that you could bring your own unique experiences and skill-sets to our business.
- Experience in prototyping / rapid concept iteration.
- A high level of general language skills and an ability to create an exceptional standard of design specs, documentation, diagrams, spreadsheets or flow charts to communicate your design visions clearly and concisely.
- A broad knowledge of games and an excellent understanding of what makes them work.
SKILLS OR INTERESTS CONSIDERED A BONUS:
- Creating and presenting game pitches.
- Experience in prototyping / rapid concept iteration.
- Experience working on both PC and console platforms.
- Experience within a variety of genres.
- Experience working in a production or producer like role and everything schedule-orientated that keeps a project and its feature implementation on track, from design through to tasking, milestones, implementation, testing and tuning of features and mechanics.
- Knowledge and experience of game engines (Unity/Unreal), scripting (Java/Lua), database creation/management.
All relevant qualifications considered.
WORKING AT DOUBLE ELEVEN:
We’re pretty sure we’re the best place to work, period. Some of our developer benefits include:
- Flexible working hours.
- Flexible lunch hours.
- Vitality Private Healthcare (for you and your family).
- Christmas bonuses.
- Awesome office facilities; cinema, video game suite and state of the art kitchen.
- Regular team lunches and title launch parties.
- Additional leave for moving house and birthdays.
- Cycle scheme.
- Potential relocation packages.
ABOUT US/WHAT WE DO:
Double Eleven Limited is a full-service publisher and developer, with head office located in Middlesbrough and other studios in Kuala Lumpur and Birmingham. Current studio projects include Minecraft Dungeons (2020), Rust Console (2020) and Prison Architect (PC & Console). As an independent publisher, Double Eleven have focused on bringing great games to new platforms and audiences including titles from the PixelJunk series, Prison Architect, and Goat Simulator. Double Eleven has also developed a strong reputation for technical skill, working on external titles such as the Lego Harry Potter series (PS4/XB1/Switch) and Crackdown 3 (Windows 10).
In 2017 and 2018, we were voted one of the best places to work in the UK Games Industry by gamesindustry.biz.
Double Eleven is a name to describe the people that create all the value. From development to business development to marketing and distribution, there’s a huge amount of talent and experience here from all levels of the games industry. Through hard work, integrity and solidarity, we are able to use that experience to create and bring to market great games that people enjoy.
To apply please email [email protected] with a copy of your CV and covering letter which highlights why you would be ideal for this role. We will endeavour to get back within a week of the closing date.